Friday 9 September 2016

Swiss Model Rocket Competition, 1980



Following my participation in the 6th Swiss Modellraketen-Flugtag model rocket competition in 1978, I had originally intended to partake again in September of 1979. I built a rocket designed for the altitude event, called Vehicle 2. Although I really liked that rocket, I ultimately didn't enter it, for reasons that are no longer clear to me now. The second time I thus participated in the Modellraketen-Flugtag was on the occasion of the competition's 8th edition, in September of 1980.

As usual, the competition was organized by the Technorama science museum in Winterthur, Switzerland, and held at Allmend Frauenfeld military training grounds. After having built rockets for the altitude category in 1978 and 1979, I now tried my hand at the considerably less striking egg-lofting competition. In the course of the summer of 1980, I thus built Vehicle 21 (shown above) from various CMR parts, including CMR's ENC 77 egg capsule, something of a secret weapon at the time.

All rockets of the egg-loft competition had to complete two flights using Estes C6-5 motors, both flights having to carry the same egg as high as possible and subsequently land it intact. Most rockets entered were finished rather crudely and utilized off-the-shelf Estes or Centuri parts, including heavy plastic parachutes. Astonishingly, I therefore was the only contestant with a rocket built from what for Switzerland, at that time, amounted to highly advanced competition components.

Nonetheless, this young teenager was surprised (and considerably proud, of course) when my first flight turned out to be the highest of the field. Unfortunately, the Mylar parachute was damaged upon ejection, and the rocket returned to the ground with considerable speed and only minimal braking. As it impacted, competitors and spectators alike all laughed, and I could hear how they universally predicted a smashed egg. But CMR's fantastic egg capsule had worked, and I was able to present a pristine egg to the judges and thus qualify for the second flight. It goes without saying that I suddenly received incredulous and grumpy looks from my fellow competitors.

The impact forces had been absorbed by the blown plastic of the egg capsule, however, and it had cracked along almost half of its length. Next to repairing the parachute, I thus had to perform an emergency fix with electrical tape, which made the rocket heavier and compromised its aerodynamics. Accordingly, my second flight came in some 22 meters lower than the first, which cost me what would likely have been a first place overall. Then again, I still came in second, which was fantastic at any rate, especially given the circumstances.

My participation in this contest also resulted in the very first time I ever read my name in a magazine, when the March 1981 issue of the Model Rocketeer printed a brief report titled "Eight Swiss Nationals".

As was the case when I first participated in 1978, there were again people who blatantly disregarded the contest rules; in this case the rule that the person entering the rocket also had to be the one who actually built it. There was at least one entrant I personally knew who had zero model rocket experience and yet entered a rocket built by a third party with considerable expertise. When the person in question won the altitude competition in this manner, I felt truly disappointed. I didn't bother to report it this time around, but I decided to refrain from ever participating again. I would be perfectly happy just flying rockets with my friends.

No comments :

Post a Comment