Monday 27 June 2016

Cox Rocket Launch System



While looking around a long-since closed toy store in the heart of Zurich, Switzerland, as a young teenager in 1974, I happened upon a model rocketry catalogue. Noticing my excitement, the owner said I could take it. It was their last copy, and they apparently no longer sold rockets. This was the 1972 Cox Model Rocketry catalogue.

I had become fascinated by rockets and space flight due to the late 1960s Apollo missions which, with Skylab and Apollo-Soyuz, were still continuing at the time. I was thus of course utterly captivated by the semi scale and scale-like model rockets in the catalogue. It would still take two more years until I first held a professional model rocket and motor in my hands; by that time, however, we couldn't find any Cox model rocketry items anywhere anymore. Nonetheless, that catalogue would always remain an extraordinary source of inspiration for me.

Only much later in my life was I at last able to acquire an actual item from the 1972 Cox catalogue: the Rocket Launch System launch pad and launch controller, one of the items that had always interested me most, owing to its realistic look. Judging by the minor exhaust staining on the metal blast deflector, it had likely been used only once, and it was sold in its equally mint-condition original box.

I subsequently restored the blast deflector gently, and I modified the launch pad slightly by making the wires of the remote launch controller and ignition connector disconnectable and fixing the rather flimsy adjustable feet in place. The Honest John model rocket displayed on the Rocket Launch System in the top image is not the Cox flying plastic model, however, but rather a completely scratch-built sport scale model rocket originally begun in 1986 and repaired and finished in the late 1990s.

Cox Rocket Launch System front and back box artwork © by L.M. Cox Manufacturing, Inc./Leisure Dynamics, Inc., scanned from my actual kit. Top photo taken in Zurich, Switzerland, on June 23, 2016.

2 comments :

  1. Any chance I could get dimensions of the original blast deflector?? I scored a Vintage launch system last year, and that was the only thing missing... Not sure I will ever find an original, so am looking at fabbing something up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a launch system still in it's original nox

    ReplyDelete